Saturday, December 15, 2007

Ahh, blogging.

My friend Andrew apparently will not add me to his list of People Who Exist unless I start some entries, so I suppose that's as good a reason as any to start.

But I have asked myself something, and it may be part of the reason I've had this account for over two years without actually writing anything: why blog? I mean, it's not a bad thing. People do it all the time. Great writers. Stinky writers. People that I wish the world could listen to, and people I think have no business with access to sharp pointy objects. But why do it?

I suppose one must operate on the assumption that others are a) interested in the minutiae that comprise one's day; b) waiting to hear one's insight on a topic, philosophy, or event, or c) utterly lacking for anything else to read.

As for one's own reasons, I suppose blogs can provide a cathartic outlet of sorts, or a way to be heard when feeling particularly unheard. I think these are all worthy reasons. However, I personally don't get any particular satisfaction out of blogging for my own sake—I prefer to be the one listening—or if I'm speaking, I prefer it being in response to someone else. So this whole concept is taking me a bit to wrap my head around—the notion, I guess, that someone else is interested in what I have to say even if they didn't ask me a question. That being said, I welcome any ideas on what I'm supposed to put here for others!

1 comment:

Andrew Burcham said...

I'm interested in what you have to say...so keep up the posts

And...I'll add you as a friend now