Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Driving in Ireland and other ruminations

It is always inadvisable, I suppose, to paint with too broad a brush, but I think this is reasonably accurate: the Irish drive fast. It's just an observation—anyone would say I'm certainly one to talk—but what makes it memorable is that the roads in Phoenix where I do my leadfooting are a little more than 8 feet wide! I exaggerate somewhat, of course. But it is funny nevertheless. It reminds me somewhat of being back in Romania with our latest talented-but-crazy Romanian daredevil ferrying us from one village to another. These guys are talented, too. And fast! Pastor, you'd love driving here. :)

Today we took a bus tour through Belfast, ate at McDonald's, and spent the afternoon at the Ulster museum before heading out to the rehearsal dinner.

Bus tour... worth the 12 pounds 50 pence. A lot of information!

Some people (Pastor) have already heckled me for going to McDonald's. But it's intentional. We've been eating normal Irish fare most of the time, but I like going to McDonald's wherever I travel: it's interesting to see the local spin on an American institution.

An interesting note on the rehearsal dinner: it was a novelty for the folks here! Apparently there is no such thing in Ireland. But Holly is from the States, so there was a rehearsal dinner.

I am in the process of moving pictures from Dropbox to Picasa since they can be captioned (which I've not finished yet, sorry). Please click here to see them in the new location.

My parting advice: if you don't want to feel quite ripped off, don't try to call your brother or a good friend from your church from a pay-as-you-go phone purchased in the UK!

1 comment:

pastorman said...

Tedd, Love the photos...good mix of green and stone. I will have to drive in Ireland! Perhaps that is the Irish Adams speed gene.