Saturday, June 12, 2010

Goodbye, Ireland

Well, it's about 9:30 local time, and Zach and I have a couple of hours to kill in the Belfast airport.

This is always the toughest entry to write. How do you sum up experiences like this? People are looking for nice tidy bookends. I don't really have any. But as expensive a trip as this proved to be, I can say unequivocally that it was worth it. I got to get away from what passes for my normal life these days for just a little while. I got to go to the wedding of a good friend. I got to spend some time with a family I really love from church. I got to travel with someone whom I got to know when he was in the youth group, and has since turned out to be a good friend. I got to go to a part of the world I'd always hoped to, and finally did.

The last several times I've kept journals or blogs of trips, I've generally ended up with a section called "Embers"... snippets, anecdotes, sometimes even just impressions that don't really fit in any other entry. I think I'll do that again. Some may mean something to you, others may mean something only to me; but then I guess that constitutes fodder for conversation. :) Thanks for reading. I hope you've enjoyed this blog, and the pictures.

Pax Domini,
Tedd

Embers
Driving on the left. Took some getting used to. Especially seeing cars coming at you from the right!

No dirt in Ireland to speak of. Just green as far as the eye can see.

Seeing your breath in the morning in June.

Gorse bushes... worth avoiding.

Jumping a fence... "Look, dear... commoners!"

Cows and sheep. Lots of cows and sheep.

Did I mention green?

Ubiquitous bagpipe music in Scotland.

Jack and Zach. A kid, and a kid at heart.

"That's brilliant!"

Pubs. A quiet drink with a friend.

Glasgow University. Stately. Ancient.

Edinburgh skyline.

Walter Scott monument... trot to get there in time... Ben: "I hate you... (gasp)... I hate you... (wheeze)..." Lots and lots of steps. Ben: "I hate you... (gasp)... I hate you... (wheeze)... hey, it's cool up here!"

Lots and lots of walking... and loving it.

Cobblestone streets... everywhere

David Livingstone... John Knox... giants of the faith with roots in Edinburgh

Hating the alarm clock on the last day.

Thou and Thou only, first in my heart
High King of Heaven, my treasure Thou art.


Goodbye, Ireland.



(And for good measure, one more link to the photos here.)

No comments: