March 15 - 23:00
We just took off from Tel Aviv a little while ago, and I have been sitting here drumming my fingers on the little dinner tray in front of me trying to think up some sage way to summarize the trip. I've concluded that I can't–at least, not with what's left of my faculties after a busy day and really busy couple of weeks. And looking back over what I've written, perhaps no summary is necessary. But I will say this: if you are able, go.
I reared up at the idea that this was a "pilgrimage" when someone called it that; pilgrimage almost has too many "mere religion" overtones to me, like something one sets out to do to gain approval from one's god or God. But on this end of the trip, I think that's the right word. And it's a pilgrimage worth taking.
The four Gospels have everything we need for salvation, but the Fifth Gospel is definitely worth reading as well. Even with all the hazards, all the headaches, the long trips and overpriced falafels, I can think of no substitute for walking where Jesus walked, seeing what He saw, and getting to know Him just a little better in the process.
Shalom, y'all!
Monday, March 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment